I really enjoyed attending the John Beilein radio show Monday night. I have attended a number of his press conferences, and media sessions, but have never had the chance to attend the radio show. I love the fact that it gives people in the community an opportunity to see him in a public setting. They can ask questions and hopefully feel closer to the team as a result.
As far as content is concerned I wasn't thrilled with the show's format. True fans, the kind that tune in on the radio, want to be privy to information they can't get anywhere else. Beilein basically regurgitated the same post-game comments that were featured on MGoBlue on air. He skirted the pressure topics (like the NCAA tournament) and when he did respond gave cookie-cutter answers that left fans yearning still for more. When he did have the chance to give some insight into the team (even in a trivial form) he failed. When asked about the team's movie selections on the bus rides, he talked about movies featuring the "f-bomb" (I'm thinking he should have avoided that all together) and said he really didn't pay attention all that much.
The show needs to focus on individuals and less on simple game analysis. I want to know more about Beilein and his players as people. What is his non-basketball life like? Give me something I can't get from watching the game, or reading the stories the next day.
The show needs to market itself differently to consumers. If you want participation (call ins) offer an incentive. Give away prizes for those who call in. Put copies of the show online and on iTunes and then ask trivia questions on the air the next week about the previous show. Award the winners. This encourages continued support of the show AND helps provide you with an idea of who's listening. Have watch parties around Michigan's campus (in the dorms!!!) where you provide free food/beverages and encourage listening of the show.
The radio show has a ton of potential and if designed and marketed properly can encourage and add to the Michigan basketball fan base. The key is giving people something they can't get anywhere else, and feel like they HAVE to have.
Also, has UofM thought of a social networking site for it's fans? People could post questions online that could be read to Beilein throughout the show. That way if they can't call in (are in the car, at work, etc.) they can still get their questions out there and feel like they are participating in the show.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment