Wednesday, April 8, 2009

NCAA coverage critique

The commentating on the NCAA men's basketball Final Four wasn't entirely different from any of the other sports commentating appearing on American television these days. Basically a bunch of former athletes combine with one actual broadcast journalist in an attempt to bring audiences "closer" to the game.
The problem I see with sports commentating today is that it isn't going anywhere. The same arguments are regurgitated over and over again and more often than not they turn out to have little to no impact on the actual sporting event.
For example, during the coverage of this year's Final Four the analysts often referred back to how it was in THEIR playing days. It felt as though they were more concerned with tooting their own horns and flaunting their own accomplishments than shedding any actual light or creating any relevance to this year's tournament. The game of basketball has changed greatly over the years (even Magic Johnson admitted that during his halftime appearance in the National Championship game). The same rules and methods don't always apply. I think that commentators feel their credibility comes from having playing experience when really it comes from knowledge of the sport in general. And even if you have that knowledge you have to be able to convey it in a meanful way to your audience. I understand that announcers have to appeal to fans that no very little about the sport, but they shouldn't punish the fans that are knowledgeable at the same time by excluding information relevant to them.
I understand that the major theme throughout this year's Final Four was what it meant for the State of Michigan as a whole, especially having Michigan State present. I also understand the major storyline for the TarHeels was the senior class' coming back after a dissapointing finish last year to get redemption. Everyone else beat those stories TO DEATH, making me NOT want to hear it over and over again from the men bringing us the game on CBS.
That was my other problem with the coverage of the tournament. I saw Tracy Wolfson ONCE during the championship and that was in a tape-delayed interview she did with Larry Byrd. Why didn't she provide more insight throughout the game with sideline reports? Why couldn't she have gone into a locker room at halftime and talked about the atmosphere and the mentality of the team? I love listening to Jim Nance but he is limited in his scope as a play-by-play announcer. If you have the resources USE them.
I didn't just want to know where Ellington took his shots, I wanted to see how he GOT his shots. There was almost NO meaningful analyzing at halftime. The interview with Magic Johnson and (another nod to the past!) Larry Byrd were great additions, but they didn't provide us with anything other than entertainment value.
CBS harped on the amount of Spartans in the crowd and talked about the great fan following that UNC had as well, but other than a few crowd shots there was no substance to that story. Why didn't anyone bother to do a package highlighting some of those fans and the journey that they took to get to the game? Why didn't they show parts of the pep rally, talk about State's past riots and what the outcome could mean for the campus, or any of the other thirty things I can think of right now that would have made for compelling TV?
Overall I gave CBS a C- for their coverage. It was average at best.

No comments: